vegetable pizza recipe below:
Prep time - 2 hours 20 mins
Cook time - 20 mins
Total time - 2 hours 40 mins
veg pizza - vegetarian pizza recipe from scratch.
serves: 3 medium sized pizzas or 2 large pizzas
ingredients (measuring cup used, 1 cup = 250 ml)
for the pizza bread base:
- 2.5 to 3 cups all purpose flour/maida
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 teaspoon dry active yeast
- ¼ tsp sugar or ¼ tsp honey
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- olive oil for brushing
- flour, cornmeal or semolina for sprinkling
for the tomato sauce:
- 4-5 tomatoes
- 2-3 garlic
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp red wine (optional)
- 2 tsp dried basil or 2 tbsp fresh basil1 tsp dried oregano or 1 tbsp dried oregano
- freshly crushed or ground black pepper
toppings for 2 medium sized pizzas:
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 capsicum/bell pepper, sliced
- 1 tomato (optional)
- 8-9 pitted green olives, sliced
- 8-9 pitted black olives, sliced
- grated mozarella cheese as required
- fresh or dried herbs
how to make the recipe:
making the pizza bread:
- sprinkle sugar in warm water.
- add yeast. stir and let the mixture sit at room temperature for 10-15 mins till it becomes frothy,
- in a bowl add one cup flour, salt, olive oil and the frothy yeast mixture.
- stir. add another cup of flour.
- stir again. the mixture become sticky.
- add the last cup of flour and continue to stir.
- knead the dough into a smooth, springy ball.
- apply some olive oil all over the dough.
- cover loosely and keep in a large bowl at room temperature for 1.5 to 2 hours.
- the dough will double up and nicely leaven.
making the tomato basil pizza sauce:
- blanch the tomatoes and the chop them.
- heat oil. fry the chopped garlic,
- add the tomatoes and wine.
- let them cook uncovered for 4-5 minutes.
- add the herbs, salt and pepper.
- mix well. cook further for 3-4 minutes.
assembling the veg pizza
- flatten the dough to a disk.
- on a floured surface roll the dough.
- place the dough onto a greased and dusted pan.
- brush some olive oil on the pizza base.
- spread the tomato sauce on the pizza.
- top with the veggies.
- spread the grated cheese.
- bake the veg pizza in a preheated oven for 15-20 minutes at 200 degrees C.
- serve veg pizza hot.
Few tips for veg pizza recipe:
1. the pizza dough can also be made in a food processor or electric mixer.
2. if the dough becomes sticky add some flour and vice versa. if the dough is not soft and a bit dry, then add some warm water.
3. i even made a thin crust pizza with this dough and it was excellent.
4. you can saute the veggies lightly in olive oil if you want.
5. the leftover pizza sauce can be refrigerated.